Friday, June 3, 2011

HELP


Something is going on in the garden. Two days ago we planted 4 pepper and 4 squash and 4 tomato plants. In the evening after supper I checked the garden and flowers and all was well.

In the morning I checked the garden and flowers again. Guess what? All the leaves on 2 of the peppers where chopped off and lying on the ground. Not eaten, mind you, just chopped off.

Last night I covered the 4 pepper plants with plastic containers. This morning, guess what? 3 of the squash plants were stripped of their leaves and lying on the ground, uneaten. What is going on?

We put a wooden pencil by the tomatoes plants we set out this week so the wind wouldn't crack them off. We had one pencil left over so staked it to 1 of the squash. That one wasn't touched. May have to try putting a pencil by each plant, and wait and see if it works.

Some residents think it is the bird-some say squirrels- others say a bug. I say--let the night shift stay out there at night and keep watch over the garden. It only happens at night. Got any idea? The plants aren't dead, so they will come back but sets the garden back that much more.

4 comments:

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

I have no idea. Maybe one of the residents? ;^)

Kryna said...

Oh yikes that is a problem. I haven't a clue!

Mike and Belinda said...

Don't have any idea either - you might have to keep watch one night and find out :)

Ladene said...

Don't worry about that one. I'd rather have them eat the plants than miss my sleep.

I noticed the plants with a penci by them for a stake-they did not chew off the leaves. I put pencils around them all and have not had any more trouble. What that is I do not know. Maybe pure luck.