Thursday, July 31, 2008

Reflections

The summer days are getting hotter and hotter. More humid and I'm glad to be inside.


That set me to thinking back to 1936. It was hot-very hot-and getting hotter. Absolutely no rain, no crops and no promising future. My mother was expecting her 5th child.
She was 39 at this time.

Joyce was 13--Wallace was 12-- and Lois and I were 8. We had NO electricity -so NO fan or No air conditioning. It must have been trying for everyone.

We girls would sleep across the bed (yes, beds. We had 2 beds in the room and 3 girls), so that we could be near the windows and get as much cool as possible during the night.

But poor mom.. I can remember she would rest at every noon and try and stay cool by lying down on the linoleum floor. Not a bed or sofa, but the linoleum floor , trying to stay as cool as possible. Can you imagine that?

This was late July and Aug. Dear Harriet, was born Sept. 17- 1936.

3 comments:

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

NO, can't imagine what that would be like. I do say often that it would not have been me moving across the country in a covered wagon with nothing and knowing I would never see my people again. I am a wimp and spoiled also.

Kryna said...

It had to be wicked awful hot. Did you kids have a creek anwhere near that you could swim in?

Mike and Belinda said...

I can't imagine at all - I am hot right now and I'm sitting inside the air conditioning - talk about spoiled - WOW - and no I am NOT pregnant either - just HOT!!